Our life with these two precious babies--what an adventure!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I should be careful what I offer...

Whew, babies, we made it through last week. I had a big work meeting, our Washington Conference, where our members from all over the country fly in for three days of meetings--it was kind of my last big push before I can start winding down and taking it easier at work--and it was exhausting. All in all, it was a very successful week--but, it included a brush with disaster.

On Tuesday afternoon, we had just finished all of our subcommittee meetings, and the Government Affairs Committee meeting was getting ready to start. There were probably 80 people in the room--the first speaker was on, talking about the recent Supreme Court decision allowing corporate dollars to be spent on campaign advertising--and I was next up on the agenda to speak about our PR campaign. All of a sudden, there is a huge commotion a few chairs down. To those of us who couldn't directly see what was happening--all we knew was that A MAN WAS DOWN. On the floor. And come on--we are in a room 90 percent full of older, white men--assuming the worst, we knew this could not be good.

It turns out--a poor old man's chair collapsed under him, totally gave out, causing him to topple to the floor. Luckily, he was fine, if not a little bit shocked and more than a little bit embarrassed. Whew, I ALMOST had to break out my newly acquired CPR skills--good thing everyone was OK!

(Time out--bless his heart, but thank goodness it wasn't my chair that gave out! Not good for the babies--and not good for mom's self image!)

No comments:

Post a Comment