Our life with these two precious babies--what an adventure!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Night Terrors

We all show our stress in different ways. Since the babies have come home, Spud has taken to licking to release his stress. If you ask Daniel, he would probably say he's not stressed--even if you look at him, he doesn't look particularly stressed. But there must be some subconscious stress that he's feeling, because since the babies have come home, Daniel has had a night terror every night.

And what is a night terror you ask? It's like a really vivid nightmare. You're somewhere between asleep and awake, and totally unaware that you're up talking and acting like a crazy person (at least, that's what Daniel's are like). He must be subconsciously worried about hurting the babies, because the terrors go something like this:

I'm sound asleep. I wake up (I'm a light sleeper--curses!) and see Daniel either sitting straight up in bed, or standing at the side of his bed, as he's just launched himself out of bed. He has a panicked look on his face, and says to me, "The pillow just moved. There's a baby in the pillow." All the while, he's taken one of the European pillows from our bed and is digging into the pillowcase, trying to free an imaginary baby from the pillow. WHAT?! Crazy! He has also sat up in bed and started folding the sheets around him as though he was swaddling a baby. Nuts. Another common scenario is for him to look at me and ask, "Where are the babies?" and proceed to dig around the bed and through the pillows. The more he's had the night terrors, the more he realizes his craziness a few minutes in--at which point he usually cusses and rolls over to fall back asleep. I will say, I'm proud of myself for being so nice. I could really mess with him--but instead, I reassure him and say, "Sweetheart, the babies are in their cribs, and they are fine--go back to sleep."

His fears are unfounded--so far, we haven't lost a baby in the bed or stuck one of them in a pillow--so he should stop worrying (and freaking me out) and sleep tight!

4 comments:

  1. Guess who that is exactly like. . . . SPENCER! He has had awful night terrors his whole life, but they have gotten exceptionally worse since Hannah was born. I remember when she was just brand new like the twins, he'd wake up FRANTIC and search in the covers for her, sure that she was suffocating in there. Oh man, your post made me smile! We are going through the same thing in the Nelson house. :)

    P.S. I love your babies! They are way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Spencer. Daniel, don't worry. These night terrors are a sign of incredible parenting and also a very high IQ. Einstein, Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Columbus, Jack Bauer, and James Bond all had night terrors. You are in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad that jack bauer and james bond made the list. important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, you poor girl! It is stressful waking up to someone digging around in bed, looking for a baby! By the way, I can hardly believe you're about to have baby #2 (I feel like time has flown by--you may want to strangle me for saying that)...are you ready to meet your little guy?

    And Spencer, looks like you and Daniel are members of quite an elite group (Lincoln and Bond? Interesting combo). I think I remember you having a night terror while we were all at Bear Lake on Senior Sneak...you might have tried to kill Doug. Just a vague recollection.

    ReplyDelete