Our life with these two precious babies--what an adventure!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

the Dairy Queen

One concept that might take a while to get used to (and no, it hasn't just happened naturally like I thought/hoped it might)--boobs as functional. Let's be honest, it's weird. For the past 16 years or so, the girls have been one of my best features--and I'd say that we've made a pretty strong team. And now they're going to be put to work, responsible for feeding and sustaining our children?! Tricky.

Last week, I had a breastfeeding consultation, along with two other women expecting twins, with a woman by the name of Pat Shelley. Pat runs a non-profit here in DC called The Breastfeeding Center, and she is like the Dahli Llama of breastfeeding. She is highly revered in the mom circles, and considered by many to be a breastfeeding guru of sorts--I'd venture to say that a large percentage of moms in Washington DC have heard of and/or utilized Pat. As a result of the consult, I am equal parts more confident in this whole process, and more freaked out by this whole process. And, maybe I'm a prude (am I?!)--but there were a lot of exposed boobs, and I'm just not that comfortable with the boobs of everyone else being all out there. I'm kind of like a 5 year old--I want to point, stare, and giggle (turns out, that's not an appropriate reaction). This is probably something I'm going to have to get over. But it might take some time.

I was also fitted for a nursing bra while I was there (so, so far from sexy, but so, so comfortable--I'd recommend that all of you go out and get one--you can thank me later)--and WHOA MOMMA. When the sweet little girl with the measuring tape told me what size she initially said I was measuring, I about fell over and died. Let's just say there were TWO LETTERS involved in the size. Turns out--she was wrong, and aside from the initial boost early on in pregnancy, my bra size hasn't changed. But still--I had a few minutes of complete shock and denial. Whew, close call--but YIKES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment