Our life with these two precious babies--what an adventure!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

My current resolution is to get through the next few weeks, and to try to train myself to be functional with less sleep. Aside from that, I haven't had any time to think of New Year's resolutions. I like the new year--it's usually a time to reflect, to look back and see from where you've come, and to think ahead and plan where you'd like to go. Which is why I really liked this article I received from a friend. Since my main focus right now is survival, I'm going to steal their resolutions for my own this year. These resolutions are particularly good for me, as I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person. I'm either exercising 6 days a week, or not consistently at all. I'm on a perfect 1500 calorie diet, or pass me the cookies. So, this more gradual approach to bettering oneself is new for me, and one I quite like.

From the article entitled, "Five New Year's resolutions you can actually keep," by Jason Wright:

1. Ignore the mirror: Let's be honest, most of us aren't super models. But the truth is you're much better looking than you think are. In fact, you're actually quite beautiful. You're not as plump as you imagine, and your nose and teeth are just fine. You're divine, and those who love you agree.

2. Walk more: Don't commit to walking 40 miles a week or even an hour a day. Just commit to walking more than you did last year. Park at the back of the lot every time you're at IKEA, Wal-Mart or your local mall. Before you know it, you will have walked a marathon.

3. Eat better: Can you still eat fast food? Sure you can. Just make a conscious effort to skip it now and then. Next time you have a hankering for a hamburger, grab a salad instead. Next time you're jonesing for a soda, grab an ice-cold bottle of water from the convenience store.

4. Pray more: I had a friend tell me his key to success was kneeling in quiet prayer no fewer than six times a day. Six times? I'm delighted when I get two on my knees, one at my desk, one in my car and one on a golf course. If you feel distance between you and your Father in Heaven, step closer through prayer, but don't keep a pie chart. Just pray more than you did last year; the results will astound you.

5. Be more charitable: Are you slow to say thank you? To open doors? To forgive? Make charity a verb by seeking out small moments every single day to lift someone. Will you still get grumpy? Still have bad days? Still find yourself occasionally annoyed at people around you? Sure, but not as much as you did last year, guaranteed.

2010 was pretty great--here's to a new and exciting year.

Oh, the babies told me about their resolutions--2011 is going to be a huge year for them!

1. Sit up by ourselves.

2. Sleep through the night (mom's seriously rooting for this one).

3. Eat real food (Jackson is particularly excited about this one).

4. Grow taller.

5. Get some teeth.

6. Get some hair.

7. Log some frequent flier miles.

8. Continue to develop our adorable and charming personalities (could they be cuter? I guess we'll see!).

2011 promises to be a big year for the babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment