Our life with these two precious babies--what an adventure!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

A day of firsts

*As I was walking down the street yesterday to get a cab, two women stopped me. As the first was about to ask about my baby (presumably, whether I was about to have it), the other cocked her head to the side and said, "Are you having twins?" It was the first time someone asked me if I had two in there--why yes, yes I do.

*We had to go to the hospital last night--our first visit to labor and delivery via the emergency entrance. There was some unaccounted for...moisture? Anyway, we went in after last week's episode of Top Chef to get everything checked out, and to make sure I hadn't sprung a leak. Turns out--everything is fine! My water is definitely not broken, and my cervix is still tightly shut. Also turns out that I was having some contractions, which is totally normal--the nurse declared my uterus to be "irritable," which is understandable as it has stretched to mythic proportions to carry these babies. As Daniel said--at least it wasn't my bowels that were irritable...

*As we were sitting in the labor and delivery semi-private triage center, we couldn't help but overhear the patient/doctor conversation going on next to us. Turns out--the patient DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS PREGNANT!! What?! That's a first.

So, first off, she was there with her mom and her adopted mom (questionable). Next, we overheard the doctor tell her that she's pregnant, then ask what medications she's been taking. I told Daniel that she might just be out of her first trimester, because I remember reading somewhere that days 17 - 52 are the most important, in terms of initial development...but then we hear the doctor say that she is almost FULL TERM in her pregnancy?! She's carrying a full term baby and she didn't know she was pregnant? How is this possible?!

I told Daniel to nonchalantly walk to the bathroom and try to get a look at this gal--he tried standing on his tippy toes to get a look over the curtain, but to no avail. We had a really fabulous nurse, and I wanted to ask her (HIPAA aside) if this happens frequently..we couldn't believe it, especially with my pregnancy and accompanying symptoms so un-hide-able!

No comments:

Post a Comment