Our life with these two precious babies--what an adventure!

Monday, July 19, 2010

This Weekend, or DC Baby Shower #2

I woke up Saturday morning and was so homesick. I don't think there's been a summer in my 29 years (woah, getting old--but whew, Daniel is older) that I haven't spent at least some time on the farm. Granted, it's been less these past 8 years than the previous 21--but since I moved to DC, I've always made it home for at least a week to hang out with my family on the farm in the summer (and usually some time in the fall and the spring too--winter is generally reserved for the ski hill and holidays at home in P-town). Except for this year...and I've really been missing it, and my family. Babies--next year, we're going to have to take a trip so that we all can play on the farm!

We're still crossing things off of our pre-babies-to-do list--Saturday morning, we test drove cars, and have decided on a Chevy Equinox. Now to begin the buying process...

Good looking, right? It drove really nicely, and will be just enough room for our little family, including Spud. I'm excited.

Then Daniel played hockey Saturday afternoon (in the ridiculous, almost-sending-him-to-the-hospital heat) while I went to another baby shower for the twins, this one hosted by Amanda and Jjana, friends from Church. I can't say it enough--people have been so generous with these babies! We received all kinds of gifts--from sets of towels (handmade for the babies from adult bathroom towels, so they're big, plush, soft, and absorbent), to blankets (some light blankets for swaddling, some homemade especially big to drape over their car seats without slipping off), to outfits with helpful pieces of new-mom wisdom (we got a couple of gowns for the babies, and the advice that when you're tired and it's time for a diaper change in the middle of the night, snaps are the last thing you want to deal with!), to dishes and spoons (because the first few months are going to fly by, and then we'll need all kinds of new stuff). The babies also got some fun toys and some Wee Sing music CDs--Spud even got five dog walks from a professional dog walking service, so he doesn't feel neglected right when we bring the babies home. There was amazing food and great friends and funny conversation--everyone has really made these babies (and Daniel and me) feel loved!

Then on Sunday--I taught my last pre-baby lesson at Church, and Daniel played more way-too-hot-outside hockey. I then had the distinct pleasure of visiting Olivia's fabulous new apartment and floating in her pool! It was the only outside activity I was up for yesterday--and it looks like it will be the only outdoor activity that's eligible for at least the rest of this week, which promises to only get hotter and more humid as the week progresses.

This week, the babies each weigh over three pounds, similar to four navel oranges (which means I've got eight naval oranges worth of baby in there...).
I have an every-two-week appointment with my doc tomorrow, I have a (TMI) breastfeeding basics class on Wednesday (yikes), and Daniel and I have a meet and greet with a pediatrician's office on Thursday (another thing to cross off of our list, find a pediatrician before these babies arrive!)--our next ultrasound is in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment